several referer errors

Chris Bunch chris.bunch at clinical-medicine.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Dec 17 09:06:59 PST 2001

One user on one of my sites is getting the same message when attempting to
post a message to the site. Its not affecting any other users.

The usual explanation for this is that the user's browser is not including
the referer address in its HTTP request headers. Manila uses this to check
that the referer is OK to post, avoiding risk of a trojan horse-type illegal
post.

My user was using an older browser which was said to lack this feature, but
is now getting the same error with MSIE 6.0, so I'm not sure what's going
on. He is apparently behind a firewall & I am corresponding with his IT
admin to see if this could be altering the request headers in some way.

If anyone else has seen this & has a solution, please let me know. Also, can
anyone confirm that MSIE 6.0 is OK in this respect. (I use Macs & don't have
access to MSIE6.0 to test).