viewrssbox macro (don't shoot!)

Brian V Hughes brianvh at Dartmouth.EDU
Thu Dec 20 13:58:46 PST 2001

--On 12/19/01, Kelly Thomas wrote:
>Where can I change something so that the viewrssbox macro does not put a
>bullet in front of every 'graph? I looked for two hours in several databases
>last week but came up with blank every time.
>
>http://macros.userland.com/viewrssbox

Well, if you are using the viewRssBox macro, which calls the built-in
verb xml.rss.viewRssBox, you can't change the appearance of the
items, only the appearance of the box. Fortunately, this is why the
built-in verb xml.rss.renderWithTemplate was created, so people could
have full control over the appearance of their rendered RSS feeds.

However, I don't think you can easily access this macro, via Manila,
on a UserLand hosted site. Also, it requires templates to use in the
rendering process, which you would need to supply within the macro
call, and it assumes you have a pre-defined RSS service that you can
pass, not just the URL of the feed like viewRssBox.

But, if you run your own Frontier server, you can make this a legal
macro, put the necessary templates somewhere within Frontier's .root
databases (user.html.templates comes to mind), create as many RSS
services as you want, and use this verb, as a macro or standalone,
all over the place. It's a really cool verb.

-Brian
--
Brian V. Hughes                          <http://www.dartmouth.edu/~comm/>
Webmaster                                Dartmouth College Computing Services