Moving sites to new hardware

Eric Soroos eric-ul at soroos.net
Fri Dec 13 09:57:44 PST 2002

> Eric, can you please elaborate on this. I'm not sure I understand.
> What absolute paths are saved in the kernel?

They're not saved in the kernel, but the behavior is baked into it.
Any time that you have an address that is written to a location in the ODB, that address is prefixed by the full path.  It's a disconnect between the way that the path system works within frontier and the storage representation of those paths. Internally, you'd never expect to have to use the full path to a script to use it in a method call. Everything would break  if manilaSuite.foo had to be called as [full path to manila.root].manilasuite.foo.

There are (of couse) workarounds, such as soring a string that is a path independent version of the address and using it like @stringRepresentationOfAdr^, but there are places that do different things if the odb location is a string or an adr (config.mainresponder.domains, the responders, etc).

Given Userland's (understandable) desire to not break existing code, I don't see this being fixed any time soon.

eric