show text abstract in discussion group post

Joshua Lipton/Slowtrain joshua at theslowtrain.com
Thu Dec 19 16:29:02 PST 2002

I went ahead and got MetaTool but I'm not sure that it's going to be able to
do what I need. This code needs to be able to work within the Discussion
Theme that I've been modifying.

My thought with MetaTool was to create a metafield that inherited the body,
then redisplay that same field in the messagelist that appears in recent
topics. However, when I use the {metaDataMacros.showval({"membername}")
deal, I get "assignment over existing table object" error messages.

Would it not be better to have a custom macro that just inherited the body,
stripped out everything past the first 255 characters and then was a legal
macro that I could use in the Discussion Theme? I think this is the way to
do it, but I don't know enough Manila/Frontier to write a script like that.

If you do believe that I can do this in MetaTool, I wouldn't be shocked, but
please be more specific if you can.

Thanks,
joshua at theslowtrain.com