show text abstract in discussion group post

Tom Donovan donovant at hawthorn73.org
Thu Dec 19 09:49:14 PST 2002

I'll start with a minimal answer:  Assuming your script is already set up to
access the other parts of the message and the message body is in the
variable "msgBody", you can use this to get the first 200 chars (along with
an ellipsis):

    string.ellipsize(msgBody,200)

Tom

Tom Donovan                                Hawthorn School District 73
Coord. of Info. Systems, Webmaster         Vernon Hills, IL