Background rendering of a web page for email

Brian V Hughes brianvh at Dartmouth.EDU
Tue Mar 12 14:07:35 PST 2002

--On 03/12/2002, Mike Myers wrote:
>On 3/12/02 4:22 PM, "Brian V Hughes" <brianvh at Dartmouth.EDU> wrote:
>
>  > They aren't "default setting", it's the same settings that would be
>>  used if you did a Preview Page or Publish Page from the Web menu on
>>  the object.
>
>But that's my point! Strictly speaking, the page table that I'm creating in
>a local variable is not associated with a web object in a Frontier gdb.

Ah... Ok. What you need to know is that html.buildObject takes care
of populating the page table by going to the object and walking up
until it hits the root of the site.

It's up to you to decide if you want to use a local variable in your
script (which I recommend), or websites.["#data"], which is the
default location for standard web page builds. In the end, it's just
a container for the object's rendering context.

>Years ago, I thought I recalled Brent saying that the #ftpSite entry is a
>key anchor, even if the page is being served dynamically (ie. not ftp'd or a
>static page). That's why I asked if there were minimal attributes that I
>should poke into the dummy page table in order to fake out buildObject().

Yes, #ftpSite is a key anchor, for the Web Site Framework. It the
thing that says, "You have reached the root of the object's web
site." Which means stop looking for #prefs and table directives and
start processing the page-level  data.

Does that make more sense?

-Brian