Inserting into XML tables at arbitrary points

Bill Humphries whump at apple.com
Tue Mar 19 15:04:36 PST 2002

On Tuesday, March 19, 2002, at 02:12 PM, Greg Pierce wrote:

> Can I ask exactly what you're trying to accomplish with arbitrary
> insertion?
>
> It seems the correct approach to this is to edit the XML before compiling
> it to a table.

Who's doing the editing though, if it's a domain expert familiar with XML
markup, then yes, the right thing to do is edit the text, check for
well-formedness, validate against DTD or schema if necessary, then compile.

However, my users' expect a visual editing interface, and would run
screaming for Gilroy if I asked them to edit markup. They aren't
programmers.

-- whump