request for help: domain/IP problem with Frontier

Paul Welty 1pwelty at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 28 08:12:03 PST 2002

I'm doing an experiment to see if this will work. Yesterday, it
seemed like it would. Today, I'm not so sure.

Here is the situation...

I have a computer running Frontier/Manila 8 (Mac OS X). I also
have a temporary dynamic IP service, which has a domain name. I
setup Frontier/Manila using the online setup, and used the domain
name (which maps to the dynamic IP). But, Frontier doesn't work
when I try to get to the website using the domain name. The
browser's connection times out.

Yesterday, when I setup the server using the IP address only, it
worked. Today, using the domain name, it doesn't. It also no
longer works with the IP address.

I can get to the control panel with 127.0.0.1 on the same machine,
so I know the server is running.

I know the domain is working because I can get to the FileMaker
server on port 81 with no problem.

I've searched the archives and tried looking for "domain" settings
in config.root and mainresponder.root, too. But, I can't find a
solution. I _suspect_ that some minor thing isn't configured
correctly, but I did a clean install and new setup...no luck.

Can anyone help? I would really appreciate it.

Paul