Apple Rackmounts

Brian V Hughes brianvh at Dartmouth.EDU
Tue May 14 13:19:30 PDT 2002

--On 05/14/2002, Michel Benevento wrote:
>You have to separate development and deployment of services. Frontier has
>no CLI for development/configuration, but for running something like
>Manila or webPress (our own web-based CMS), there is no difference.

I agree, however, I run 3 production Frontier servers. I don't have
the luxury of having 3 additional development servers that are
identical mirrors of the deployment setups.

>Back in the Frontier 4 days, I used to retrieve/install ODB-parts between
>two copies using NetFrontier, thus separating development and deployment;
>I'm sure this is pretty trivial to re-implement using XML-RPC. Perhaps
>this exists already.

Yup. It's called WebEdit. I use it all the time, and there are still
times when I want to access the GUI on the server.

>These days we use Timbuktu (giving 100% control), which has the odd
>requirement of booting with a graphics card on the server with a monitor
>or a specific plug attached, or - and I found this out recently - no
>graphics card at all!

Well, since my servers are across the hall from my office, I just
haven't had the need to run Timbuktu on them. I can just hop up and
walk to the console when I need to, but Timbuktu won't solve the rare
case when a crash either freezes the box completely, or just takes
down the network stack...

-Brian