[OFF TOPIC] CSS text-align property

Mike Myers myersm at optonline.net
Wed May 15 11:05:25 PDT 2002

I'm preparing to release a new Frontier-driven web app within our intranet.
But I'm still struggling with browser-dependent interpretation of
stylesheets.

For MSIE I am rendering justified text blocks using:

And it works all the time.

With Netscape (windows, version 4.75), the standard CSS format gives
inconsistent results:

  text-align: justify;

For some reason, only some of the text blocks in Netscape are fully
justified. Others are left justified. Nothing seems amiss when viewing the
HTML. If I resize the window to force Netscape to re-render, the text blocks
which render properly will change.

Any ideas of what would cause this?

The full CSS spec is:

.abstract { font-size: 100%;
            line-height: 140%;
            text-align: justify;
            text-indent: 15px }

I apply it within a <span class="abstract"> tag.

TIA,

mpm