Freezing Frontier (Was: Apple Rackmounts)

David Stodolsky david.stodolsky at socialinformatics.org
Thu May 16 13:46:07 PDT 2002

>At 11:21 -0700 16/05/02, Matt Neuburg wrote:
>
>>That reminds me; in running Frontier on OS X as a server and testing it
>>from the same machine using IE, I frequently see Frontier freeze up
>>completely - it becomes unresponsive and has to be force-quit. It's not a
>>big deal if I save frequently but it isn't the kind of thing I'd want to
>>have happen in a genuine server situation. Is this purely a result of the
>>one-machine server-client testing environment, or is it some other problem
>>that others have experienced?
>
>I think it must be another problem, because I never saw Frontier freezing
>in result of requests coming from IE on the same machine, and I've been
>doing such requests all day long for months, now.

Strange things can happen if DNS is unavailable to OSX.

Even with DNS, there is a know bug in the OSX loopback interface. In one
case, I found the loopback address, 127.0.0.1, dead. In IE, however, the
address localhost worked (at least once). In Omniweb, that address was dead.

Somebody at Apple suggested a DNS entry like "localhost.example.com," as
well as the standard "localhost," might be wise.

Setting the inverse (PTR) records is also important with OSX.

dss
David S. Stodolsky, PhD    PGP: 0x35490763    david.stodolsky at ddf.dk