slow exporting/importing data in gdbs

Dylan Raethel dylan.raethel at ew.govt.nz
Tue Nov 19 17:14:47 PST 2002

Hi all,

As part of a publishing process we regularly (usually meny times a day) move
data between gdbs on different frontier installations. Currently this is
done by creating a temporary guest database on the source box, copying the
desired stuff into it, and then opening the temp gdb on the destination box,
and copy/pasting into the destination gdb.  It works but is a bit clunky.

What would be much better for us is to be able to make use of the
export/import function... for various reasons it would be an improvement,
but we've just discovered that Frontier seems to be a bit of a slow-poke as
far as imports of large (well a few mb anyway) fttbs...  the GUI freezes for
a few minutes while it sorts it's self out, and then it springs to life...
it's a bit awkward given that we have to sit there while it's happening.

Has anyone else incountered really s-l-o-w imports, and better yet, has
anyone managed to speed them up in any way?

Thanks, Dylan Raethel
Dylan Raethel
Environment Waikato
ph (07) 856 0555 extn 8867
dylanr at ew.govt.nz

This email is not an official statement of the Waikato
Regional Council unless otherwise stated.
Visit our website http://www.ew.govt.nz