building a true community of 200 sites

Pardner Wynn pardnerw at lumify.com
Thu Feb 13 16:43:28 PST 2003

I'm attempting to figure out if it is possible for me to set up a
Frontier community that will host 200 individual churches that want to
share specific info across sites...

Each church wants its own site. Okay, that seems easy enough even for a
total newbie.

But can Frontier do this following, and if so, is there any
documentation available since I'm a newbie at Frontier (but otherwise
fairly technical):

1) They want to to share the registered user list. "Join one site and
you've joined them all" is the goal. Registered users of
ChurchNumber001 do not want to have to manually re-register at 199
other sites in order to access the functions reserved for members --
among other things, they'd probably end up having to pick something
like 20-30 different login names for different sites if their name is
common and already used on other sites.

2) However, just because "Bob" is an Admin for Church #1's site does
NOT mean he should be anything other than a normal member for churches
#2-200 (unless they individually manually grant him that Admin status).

3) They want to be able to create certain shared info. The simplest
example would be Recipes. Each church would post "their own" page with
their favorite recipes. But they'd also like to have a button that says
"show me ALL the recipes for ALL the churches."

4) Similarly, they'd like to be able to Search across sites. As in
"show me all the 'fried chicken' recipes".

5) Having some sort of aggregate calendar of events, perhaps at some
top-level site, would be very very desirable. "What's going on anywhere
this weekend?" It would be nice not to have to browse 200 sites to find
out.

I hope the answer is "that's easy" and I simply missed it in the docs!

Regards to all,

Pardner