How Big of a Server?

Eric Soroos eric-ul at soroos.net
Thu May 8 13:58:44 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 12:23  PM, Ryan Hale wrote:

> Hello Everyone -
>
> I just received a note from someone wanting to use Frontier/Manila to
> host a site that receives 70,000 visitors and 500,000 hits per month.
> I have a couple of questions...

That's only an average of something like 15-20k per day.

> 1.  I'm currently running on a Win2K, Single P4 2.5 GHz with 512 MB
> RAM.  Should this be enough to handle this amount of traffic?

Should be fine. Enable static rendering of images though, that really
helps lower the load. My experience is almost all mac, but I've seen a
800mhz g4 1/2 dedicated to manila serve half that load (250k hits per
month.) with lots of logging turned on.

> 2.  If I am needing to go more than that, what should I be running?
> Are there other considerations that I should be thinking about with
> this venture?

Look at doing as much static rendering as you can. If you're keeping
logs, it's better to do it in common log than in guest databases.

eric