Date coercion

Dave Winer dwiner at cyber.law.harvard.edu
Thu May 29 04:16:46 PDT 2003

Since this wasn't actually offlist, this kind of discussion needs to be
on-list somewhere. Maybe not this one, but some developer list where changes
like this can be RFC'd for breakage issues. Now that I'm on the user-side of
the fence, I can't afford to have my system go down because of a change that
breaks workarounds. In a programming system like Frontier, the bugs are part
of the way it works. You can see it in Chris's reaction, he had already done
a workaround! Since that verb has been in the language for half a decade, or
more, it's reasonable to assume it's been worked around elsewhere, perhaps
even in frontier.root, mainResponder.root or manila.root, where a change in
functionality could break every user of the software. We must have some
insulation from that. In the past I could veto these changes before they
happened, but now I can't. I want to at least have a *say* in what happens,
to be able to warn UserLand of breakage. Dave