Odd behaviour from timeModified

Samuel Reynolds sam at SpinwardStars.com
Mon Nov 10 06:59:35 PST 2003

At 2003-11-08 08:41 PM +0000, you wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>Does anyone have any idea why the 'timeModified' function might start
>returning 'false'?
>
>My reading of  http://docserver.userland.com/basic/timeModified is that
>the function should return either the last modified time of the specified
>object, or, throw a script error if an invalid address is passed.  Am I
>wrong about that?
>
>The behavior I am seeing is that timeModified is returning a different
>value for the same table on 2 machines (these tables are maintained via
>webEdit).  On one side I get a valid date and on the other I get the
>boolean value 'false.'
>
>This has me quite perplexed and I wondered if anyone knew anything which
>would shed some light upon it?
>
>Regards,
>
>Matt

As long as I remember, it has returned false for "basic" types
(string, address, boolean, etc.), and only returned the actual
modification date/time for more complex types.

It raises a scriptError if you pass it an address to a non-existent
location, but always returns a value (either time or true/false)
if you pass it a valid address.

- Sam