New Message: Re: "Invalid Stream" for new story

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sun Apr 4 14:35:54 PDT 2004

By: Matt Deatherage (frontier at gcsf.com)

I created the story (#773 on my site) with about the first 19K characters, and sure enough, it was cut off at the end, something I've seen before. I found where it was cut off, edited the story, and pasted from the first missing character through the next 5K or so. This time, the first 22K or so was right, and then it was cut off again.

This iterates over several attempts, although sometimes I lose ground: I'll have about 24K in the story correctly, try to add another 4K, and the result will be cut off after 21K or so. When that starts, though, the story ends with garbage characters after the end of the real text. It seems fairly obvious (to me, at least) that Frontier is having some kind of buffer problem. For example, here's how one attempt ended (some garbage characters and a cookie value removed):

Just as the IBS didn't stop with the NIV's revision in 1984, ABS didn't stop with TEV in 1979, publishing an upda