New Message: Manila Server Slow to Display Pages - HELP!

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Mon Apr 19 08:26:01 PDT 2004

By: Melissa Green (greenmj at scc.losrios.edu)

Hope this discussion board can help me track down the problem with our Windows 2000 server and Frontier/Manila.

The pages are slow to appear in my browser (sometimes it seems non-responsive). My job is to train our new users and slow pages just don't cut it!
Please respond with detailed suggestions. (Telling me to "flip the database" is not a complete answer for this newbie! I need DETAILS and the WHYS behind the details. Adding links are great, but tell me why I care about the info on that page.)
We do not have lots of active users yet -- because I'm not completely confident we can rely on the F/M server + operating system. (Around here, my computer support folks want to use a Micro-soft solution! Come on ... I need help!) I would become an active Manila EVANGELIST if there was a better support system in place. I love this user community and that Userland has not broken older versions of Frontier with new releases, but I struggle to find answers that are meaningful.

I only have access to the ControlPanel to create new accounts and see the server statistics. What information on this page tells me why the server is slow to respond?

Is the fix to the slow server something that has to be done in Frontier - at the console - or can it be a remote fix. What tools are you using to access Frontier remotely? (Information needed so I can pass on to our campus computer support team.)

Thanks in advance for your detailed help. (I bet other newbies stumbling across this topic in the future would appreciate it too!)