New Message: XHTML and Manila

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Tue Apr 27 00:52:14 PDT 2004

By: Robert Cassidy (rmcassid at uci.edu)

Lawrence,

I need to rant a bit because I'm working through a site redesign and I'm frustrated.

Is it possible in the near future to clean up some of Manila's code/templates so that we can build XHTML compliant pages (or can someone help me figure out what I'm missing in 9.0?)

There are two specific problems thus far:

1) bodytext always leads off with a p tag. Sometimes I want a p tag, sometimes I don't. I'm not sure how this should be handled, but right now it's problematic. Perhaps if the start of the message isn't a string of whitespace ending with an open bracket it should add it, otherwise not. Not sure.

2) site hierarchy rendering is, well, just horrible. Sorry, it really is. Each element starts with li. There is no overriding list tag - no ul. Simply put it's broken. Any chance we can get a site hierarchy template? It's wonderful that I can CSS the hell out of the calendar, but irritating that I can't do *anything* to the hierarchy, which arguably can impact the usability of a site far more than the calendar can.

Those are what I've dug up so far. I haven't turned my attention to the discussion templates which memory serves are pretty malleable, but perhaps others can either give me suggestions to address these things, or can chime in on other issues that I haven't found yet.