New Message: Re: Guide to reinstalling Frontier/Manila?

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Wed Dec 8 20:33:32 PST 2004

By: Dan Mitchell (dan at mitchell.fhda.edu)

Thanks for the reply Lawrence. Here is more information.

The machine is a 1 GHz G4 Powermac with a gig of RAM. Running OS X 10.3.6. Other apps running on the machine are Radio, Webstar 5.3.3, Macjordomo X (a listserv program), Keep It Up (automatically restarts the computer and/or crashed apps), and the Try2KeepFrontierRunning applescript.

/What's the CPU usage like on the machine?/

The CPU usage generally appears to be in the 3.5% to 6% range. It occasionally briefly spikes a bit higher - say 15%-30% - and I have seen it jump into the 60+% range on occasion.

/Does it always crash at the same general time (of the day or hour)?/

Before the problem recently became more acute it /seemed/ like it was frequently crashing between 3:00 a.m and 5:30 a.m. I run automatic backups at 5:30 a.m. on this machine. However, it has also crashed at other unpredictable times. Today it crashed 7-8 times throughout the day.

/How many sites do you have installed?/

This is a low traffic server. Although there are 40 Manila sites on the machine, many are simply test sites that generate essentially no traffic. Some generate a few hundred hits per day. The busiest site (http://www.teachnology.org/) might generate 1000 hits or so per day.

/Any custom scripts/plugins/tools installed?/

Tools: blocker v1.0b1, Radio Community Server v1.0, referrerRemover, Server Monitor v1.0, TheXmlFiles

One other thing... I'm not certain about this, but it seems to me that the problems began about the time I ran the Frontier 9.0.1 updater on the beta version of Frontier 9.x that I had been running before that.

Thanks.

Dan

This is a Manila site.. http://manila.userland.com/.