New Message: Scaling Manila with mySQL

Samuel Reynolds sam at SpinwardStars.com
Tue Jun 22 17:21:35 PDT 2004

At 2004-06-22 12:54 PM +0000, you wrote:
>A new message was posted:
>
>Address: http://manila.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$460
>
>By: Steve Hooker (steve at cybersaps.com)
>
>Following the post about too many messages in one manilawebsite I'm trying
>to migrate the discussion group over to mySQL. Using Mr Tallent's ODBC
>extension, I'm able to whack the whole of, what is today 143,439 messages,
>into a mySQL database. So far so cool ;-)
>
>However, now I need to *get at this stuff* with Manila!
>
>Before I start to re-write loads of Manila and mainResponder code, I
>thought it wise to ask if anyone has been here before, if there are any
>shortcuts, writing and getting discussion group messages that are stored
>in a SQL db? By pointing to a different discussion group address for
>example, which may contain scripts to get at theSQL stuff?
>
>Any advice, tips, suggestions very welcome!

I don't think Manila lends itself well to substituting
an SQL DB for internal storage. Too much code knows
about and depends on the message storage structure.
You're talking about a *lot* of work, that may then
be overwritten by the next UserLand update.

You might want to take a look at Macrobyte's Conversant.
It factors out DB storage, and is intended to work with
SQL databases. (http://conversant.macrobyte.net/,
http://www.free-conversant.com/)

I think Seth (at Macrobyte) has a script for converting
Manila messages.

'Course, it's not bundled with Frontier, and you'd have
to do some reworking of the site. Though perhaps you
could have just the DG in Conversant and the rest remain
in Manila.

- Sam