Macros don't have the ability to cascade

Jeff Shepherd JEFF.K.SHEPHERD at saic.com
Tue May 18 13:08:38 PDT 2004

I have found a difference between the way Frontier used to work (at
least back in the 5.0.1 days) and with the current implementation of
Radio.

When looking up a macro, Frontier's behavior was to look in the
#tools folder (e.g. websites.mySite.dir1.dir2.#tools) for the macro,
and then if the macro wasn't found, to go up a directory and look in
that #tools folder and up and up until getting to the websites.#tools
folder and then if not there finally look for the macro in the
user.html.macros folder.

Radio seem to do this backwards.  When a macro is called, it looks
for a #tools folder first, going up until it finds it and then once a
#tools folder is found, it looks for the macro in there.  If not
there, then it looks in the user.html.macros folder for the macro.

My biggest issue is this: if you have any global macros you use on
more than one site, you can't store them in the websites.#tools
(because that folder is trumped by your websites.mySite.#tools
folder) and you have to co-mingle user macros with system macros in
user.html.macros.

This seems to break Frontier's concept of 'cascading'. For example,
the #bgcolor directive on a rendered page overrides the #bgcolor
defined in the #prefs table.

As such, my 'breadcrumbs' macro no longer works.  It generates a set
of links such as

	MySite > MyDir1 > MyDir2 > Etc

Where {breadcrumbs()} is called from the template, but is redefined
in each deeper #tools directory to reflect the current, deeper
directory structure.

So, am I right, am I wrong?  Have I misinterpreted the current
implementation of Macros?  And does anyone have another 'breadcrumbs'
solution?

Mac OS 10.3.3, Radio UserLand 8.0.8
--
(Jeff Shepherd)            Drink your coffee...
<jeff at trg.saic.com>        There are people asleep in India right now.