New Message: Comment spam storm issues in Manila

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Fri Oct 15 11:50:26 PDT 2004

By: Betsy Devine (bdevine at hotmail.com)

Userland added a new checkboxes in September, to make it easy to delete spam comments when many of them are left on the same post.

Unfortunately, the spammers are getting around this by leaving spam on many different posts. Furthermore, the spam comments are spaced out in time--one arrives at 2:10 a.m., the next one arrives at 3:07 a.m., etc.

I turned off comments--so these comments aren't visible except from the Discuss page. I turned off membership, but the spammers have no trouble creating new memberships every time they want to leave a spam comment.

I want Userland to fix Manila so 1) that turning off membership means no new members can be added--2) turning off comments means no new comments can be added--and 3) it's easy to delete mass comments with checkboxes on the Discuss page.

Other people suffering from the latest spam storm:

http://lists.userland.com/pipermail/manila-newbies/2004-September/002038.html

http://discuss.jarretthousenorth.com/2004/10/14#a4196

http://s89749429.onlinehome.us/wpress/index.php?p=231

http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/2004/10/13/Wiki-Spam-Throttle

Three weeks ago: http://betsydevine.weblogger.com/2004/09/25#a1424

I'm about to remove another 30 spam comments posted within the past 12 hours, using the Admin page.