New Message: Re: Creating and tracking a redirect

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sat May 7 18:20:13 PDT 2005

By: Ben Collis (ben at dp.co.nz)

Hi Thomas and thanks. This looks like along the lines of what I need.

1. I don't seem to have a redirect.root on my server. Should I ?

*The Problem:*The model I am working to here is running a site for a co-operative organisation who are obliged to provide their members with details of how many click-thrus they have been provided with from the parent co-op website to the member websites.

*E.G.* There will be a page on the co-op site with links to member1, member2 and member3 sites. At the end of the month, the co-op site would want a report from with data such as "there have been 100 clicks to member1, 20 to member2 and 35 to member3".

2. So looking at the "config.mainResponder.callbacks.pathEvaluation" is this
appropriate ?

3. What form does the logging take ? Ideally I would want a txt file with rows of data ... with columns such as URL, RedirectsToday, RedirectsThisMonth, RedirectsEver.

4. I do do a wee bit of scripting but I am a programmer of another flavour really. I would need some assistance. How many and which objects on the server would need to be changed ? What is the order of operations here ? and which objects do what after the browser clicks the redirect link to member1 site ?

 5. Would I need to make a new scripts or macros recognised ? e.g. "co-op.redirect"

6. And how would the HTML in the body of the 'links' page on the co-op site appear ? .. e.g.

many thanks in advance.

This is a Manila site.. http://manila.userland.com/.