[Fwd: Re: Manila -> Movable Type migration]

Duncan Mak Manila-Newbies@userland.com
01 Oct 2001 23:07:59 -0400

Do you guys think it's possible to get Manila to output to this format?
I guess it's all a matter of setting the layout in Prefs -> Advanced ->
Template.

Duncan.

-----Forwarded Message-----

From: Benjamin Trott <ben@rhumba.pair.com>
To: Duncan Mak <duncan@simplemente.net>
Subject: Re: Manila -> Movable Type migration
Date: 01 Oct 2001 01:20:26 -0700

> I'm currently doing my activity log/blog on a Manilasite. I'm interested
> in moving to Movable Type (umm, beautiful screenshots!). I read that
> you'll be providing conversion templates for Greymatter and Blogger,
> would Manila also be supported? If not, what could I do to help?

Manila can be supported just fine (probably) assuming that you can get your
entries into the form expected by the MT import system. W/ Greymatter and
Blogger, it is just a matter of setting up the page template such that it
outputs the entries in the correct format. I'm not familiar w/ how Manila
works as an authoring system, so I don't know--is this feasible?

The format is pretty simple; it looks like this:

    TITLE: title of entry
    AUTHOR: author
    DATE: date in MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM:SS AM|PM format
    START BODY:
    entry
    body
    --------

And that repeats for all of the posts. Once the posts are in this format, MT
can import them from a file, creating new entries for each, and, if desired,
creating new MT authors for each of the authors listed (good for a team
blog, for example).

So we would love to support Manila imports as well; let me know if there is
a good way to do this.

> I'm also interested in having an XML-RPC interface, maybe I can help
> once the code has been released.

Yes, this would be great, the XML-RPC interface is going to require a lot of
testing, once we get it functional. After the first public MT release we
will have more time to work on cool additional features, like XML-RPC. :)

bye,
Ben