How to define stories. How to define news.

Peter Harbeson Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 08:59:20 -0400

RDF = Resource Description Framework. It's a WorldWide Web Consortium
(W3C) specification for structured metadata. The spec is here:
http://www.w3.org/RDF/  If you have access to Scientific American,
there's a recent cover story (May or June 2001 issue) about the
"Semantic Web" that essentially describes the WWW as it might be if RDF
were universally adopted.

RDF represents quite a contrast to RSS; where RSS is simple and
straightforward, RDF is quite complex; where RSS has been implemented a
number of times and works well, RDF (as far as I know) has yet to be
implemented.

Personally, I think RDF as it is today will never be implemented; it's
far too obscure and complex for the benefits it offers. I work with one
of the co-authors of the spec; we argue about this all the time.

-Pete harbeson