Named element typographic elements are now hosed

Michael Fraase Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 15:45:08 -0500

Hey,

Something in one of the recent updates has hosed the way named element
typographic elements are rendered in Frontier/Manila.

For example,

“Bite me,” Tom said in disgust—wishing he hadn’t
said it a full second after he did.

The above sentence contains named elements for left double quote, right
double quote, em dash, and right single quote, respectively. Yes, I know
these elements aren't formally defined by HTML 4.0 or XHTML 1.0 but they
work in every browser on every platform I've tested.

Frontier/Manila are converting these named elements into the evil
Microsoft typographic elements that don't display properly in
non-Microsoft browsers/platforms.

This worked last week. What happened?

--
Michael Fraase