Can't connect to server 127.0.0.1

Joseph Cerro Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 16:40:47 -0400

Are you behind a firewall? Corporate PCs are often configured to use a proxy
server or a firewall device for numeric IP urls (which would include
http://127.0.0.1 ). Essentially, computers using tcp/ip networking interpret the
address "127.0.0.1" to mean "the network card inside the computer trying to
interpret the address". This is why I can use http://127.0.0.1  from my PC to
access a web server running on my pc. If I try the same url ON my neighbor's PC,
it will access a web server running on my neighbor's PC, not the one on my PC.

Anyway, what happens with some proxy servers is that your browser will intercept
a request for http://127.0.0.1 and pass it directly to the proxy server. When
the url gets to the proxy server, 127.0.0.1 now means "the network card in the
proxy server", rather than "the network card inside your pc". Since Manila is
probably not running on the proxy server, you'll get an error.

You can try to use this url instead ( http://localhost ) or adjust your
browser/proxy settings to ignore proxies for local connections.

JC