How to make the weblog more accessible for people using vocalization software.

Jim Byrne Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:38:54 +0000

I suggest you learn a little basic HTML,  take a deep breath, copy the
weblog template into a text editor, strip out all the HTML leaving just the
macros, and then add your own basic HTML. Copy the resulting template back
into your weblog application - and breath out.

Scary - but it will free you up from being controlled by the application -
and you will be able to fix the page yourself when it screws up.

If you web pages is primarily aimed at people who are blind or visually
impaired they will thank you for providing them with a page that is simple
to understand; and if you have headings and links that use text describing
the pages that are linked to - many user will be able to summarise the pages
using their screen reading software.

Read this page first: http://www.mcu.org.uk/articles/htmlnotes.html
Then this page: http://www.mcu.org.uk/articles/deafblindaccess.html
Then this page: http://www.mcu.org.uk/articles/whatisaw.html
Then this accessible overview of the W3C guidelines:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/wcag-curric/overgid.htm

All the best,
Jim

--
Jim Byrne Project Director, The Making Connections Unit, Glasgow Caledonian
University, Glasgow G4 OBA, 0141 331 3893

Everything you need to know about publishing accessible information on the
Web.

Services: Website Accessibility Audits, Accessible Web design, Accessible
Website Management Training.

The Making Connections Unit: http://www.mcu.org.uk/
Scottish Disability Information Mailing list: