searching archives by category

John VanDyk Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 10:08:22 -0600

>Good Morning,
>Is it possible to search the archives of news items on my
>manilasites.com weblog by date, category, or member? If so, where
>could I learn how to do it?
>Thanks
>Scott

You should be able to do this with the Metadata Plugin. Enable the
plugin, then create the following meta types:

member
newsItem.department

Make sure both are enabled and the index setting is set to "Yes".

Now go to Metadata Plugin's Index Maintenance screen. Choose member
for your meta type and click the Rebuild Index button. Now do the
same for newsItem.department.

There -- you now have indices for member and newsItem.department. Now
you can use these indices to ask interesting questions. For example,
show all news items by newsItem.department:

{metadataMacros.showIndex("newsItem.department")}

For more information, see http://zelotes.ent.iastate.edu/metadata/