Links to stories?

Manila-Newbies@userland.com Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Mon, 07 Jan 2002 08:40:41 +0100

--=====================_30327338==_.ALT

i second the request!

i once started implementing such a cross-reference macro
for the static website framework, got through the design
and half the implementation, so there's only about 99% work
left to be done, if anyone'd like to pick up my notes and code.

my approach was to add a third element -- next to linetext and
path -- to a glossary entry for a page, called referers
(or reefers, as someone on this list suggested, i believe).
Reefers of page X is a table of Titles of pages that refer to
page X.

The idea is: when page R gets rendered, scan for any page Titles
it refers to in its bodytext, and add R's Title to their
glossary.Reefers table.

So when page X gets rendered, it has a list of reefers available
for suitable rendering.

i dont know enough about the Manila dynamic website framework's
internals to figure how well this would work there, though.

Of course, if anyone has such a macro already,
i'd sure like to know!

happy digging,
eddi

At 22:05 06.01.2002 +0100, Rene de Vries wrote:
>How would one go about finding what stories link to another story in=20
>Manila? We use linking to stories quite extensively, through including=20
>them in the body text of another story (e.g. "link to article"). However,=
=20
>I noted that if I change the title of the story that was linked to (from=20
>"link to article" to "link to story") the link in the original story=20
>remains intact. That's great to keep the integrity of the links intact.
>
>However, would I would really like to know is from where links exists to=20
>this story. Bottom line, I also want to change the name of the original=20
>link. Now, if there are just a few links that's quite doable. We're=20
>considering using Manila for a documentation system, and links will all=20
>over the place.
>
>Is there a way to find out all the referrers to a story?
>
>Ren=E9 de Vries
>The Netherlands

--=====================_30327338==_.ALT

i second the request!<br>
i once started implementing such a cross-reference macro<br>
for the static website framework, got through the design<br>
and half the implementation, so there's only about 99% work <br>
left to be done, if anyone'd like to pick up my notes and code.<br>
my approach was to add a third element -- next to linetext and<br>
path -- to a glossary entry for a page, called referers<br>
(or reefers, as someone on this list suggested, i believe).<br>
Reefers of page X is a table of Titles of pages that refer to <br>
page X.<br>
The idea is: when page R gets rendered, scan for any page Titles<br>
it refers to in its bodytext, and add R's Title to their <br>
glossary.Reefers table.<br>
So when page X gets rendered, it has a list of reefers available<br>
for suitable rendering.<br>
i dont know enough about the Manila dynamic website framework's<br>
internals to figure how well this would work there, though.<br>
Of course, if anyone has such a macro already, <br>
i'd sure like to know!<br>
happy digging,<br>
eddi<br>
At 22:05 06.01.2002 +0100, Rene de Vries wrote:<br>
about finding what stories link to another story in Manila? We use
linking to stories quite extensively, through including them in the body
text of another story (e.g. &quot;link to article&quot;). However, I
noted that if I change the title of the story that was linked to (from
&quot;link to article&quot; to &quot;link to story&quot;) the link in the
original story remains intact. That's great to keep the integrity of the
links intact.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
from where links exists to this story. Bottom line, I also want to change
the name of the original link. Now, if there are just a few links that's
quite doable. We're considering using Manila for a documentation system,
and links will all over the place.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
to a story?</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>