discussion group formatting error

Sam DeVore Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 14:37:14 -0700

--B_3109329436_479799

On 7/12/02 2:19 PM, "Jeremy.Tredway@iuniverse.com"
<Jeremy.Tredway@iuniverse.com> wrote:

> Various posts to the discussion group threads result in entries that don't
> wrap the text. Instead, the post is extremely long, and horizontal scrolling
> is required (even with an 1152x864 resolution). Does anyone know why this is
> occurring, or know a fix? Refer to following URL for example:
>
> http://community.iuniverse.com/writing/discuss/msgReader$371?mode=topic&y=2002
> &m=7&d=12
> <http://community.iuniverse.com/writing/discuss/msgReader$371?mode=topic&amp;y
> =2002&amp;m=7&amp;d=12>
>
> JT
> --
> Jeremy J. Tredway
> Web Producer
> iUniverse
> jeremy.tredway@iuniverse.com

It is this line in the discussion group text entered like this
<pre>Jeremy,<p>

Except it keeps not working for me when I do the preformat deal.  It scrolls
right, out of control, still about 60% of the time.  Let's see if I get
lucky this time or not.<p>

Terry.</pre>

All this is wrapped in the pre tag so that second line, which has no
returns, is PREformated to be all one line so the browser does just that.
It did exactly what Terry told it to.  If Terry were to add line breaks to
make it look right in the box Terry would not pop the table out like that.
Perhaps another tag would be in order (that is why on some of my sites PRE
is not a legal tag...

HTH

Sam d
====================
Samuel C. DeVore    sdevore@teachesme.com
www.TeachesMe.com
Because if you are not managing your content...
Who is?
See us for content management for teachers/schools/students
=====================

--B_3109329436_479799

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: discussion group formatting error</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande">On 7/12/02 2:19 PM, &quot;Jeremy.Tredway@iuniver=
se.com&quot; &lt;Jeremy.Tredway@iuniverse.com&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><FONT SIZE=3D"2">Various posts =
to the discussion group threads result in entries that don't wrap the text. =
Instead, the post is extremely long, and horizontal scrolling is required (e=
ven with an 1152x864 resolution). Does anyone know why this is occurring, or=
 know a fix? Refer to following URL for example:<BR>
</FONT> <BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2">http://community.iuniverse.com/writing/discuss/msgReader$371=
?mode=3Dtopic&amp;y=3D2002&amp;m=3D7&amp;d=3D12 &lt;http://community.iuniverse.com/w=
riting/discuss/msgReader$371?mode=3Dtopic&amp;amp;y=3D2002&amp;amp;m=3D7&amp;amp;d=
=3D12&gt; <BR>
</FONT> <BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2">JT<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"1"><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">--<BR>
Jeremy J. Tredway<BR>
Web Producer<BR>
iUniverse<BR>
jeremy.tredway@iuniverse.com<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"> <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><BR>
It is this line in the discussion group text entered like this<BR>
&lt;pre&gt;Jeremy,&lt;p&gt;<BR>
<BR>
Except it keeps not working for me when I do the preformat deal. &nbsp;It s=
crolls right, out of control, still about 60% of the time. &nbsp;Let's see i=
f I get lucky this time or not.&lt;p&gt;<BR>
<BR>
Terry.&lt;/pre&gt;<BR>
<BR>
All this is wrapped in the pre tag so that second line, which has no return=
s, is PREformated to be all one line so the browser does just that. &nbsp;It=
 did exactly what Terry told it to. &nbsp;If Terry were to add line breaks t=
o make it look right in the box Terry would not pop the table out like that.=
 &nbsp;Perhaps another tag would be in order (that is why on some of my site=
s PRE is not a legal tag...<BR>
<BR>
HTH<BR>
<BR>
Sam d<BR>
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<BR>
Samuel C. DeVore &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;sdevore@teachesme.com<BR>
www.TeachesMe.com<BR>
Because if you are not managing your content...<BR>
Who is?<BR>
See us for content management for teachers/schools/students<BR>
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3109329436_479799--