manila or radio?

Mark Burgess Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:31:51 -0700

Hi --

I am thinking of a project and don't know if Manila or Radio would be
better suited for it (hopefully it won't need both). I am a little
bit familiar with both but not enough to know what-all the
capabilities are. I used Frontier quite a bit in the Aretha days but
have not looked at it much since it went commercial. I downloaded the
Radio 8 demo and tried it for a couple of hours but then let it lapse
since I did not have a need for it at the time.

We are setting up a handful of working groups (maybe five groups of
four) within the company and I'd like each one to have a weblog to
foster discussion and information-sharing. Here's what I think we
need:

* Private. The weblogs should be private, preferably running on our
own server. They should be Internet-accessible but password-protected.

* Shared. Several people will need to be able to post to each weblog,
from a variety of machines (i.e. one person should be able to post
from work, home, whatever... preferably they would not need a local
application to do this).

* Super-easy. Most people posting are not technical.

* Archive-by-topic. Although archiving by date might be ok, I am
thinking that a memepool-style topical archive will be more valuable
in the long run. The ability to assign multiple topics to one item
would probably be necessary.

* Access to newsfeeds. It would be nice to be able to instantly grab
news items and add them to the weblogs. I started to play with this
in Radio but got a little bit lost -- iirc it seemed to only be able
to show news items that had been posted in the last hour, but instead
I would need to select from everything since the last check (probably
once every day or two). I also had trouble finding a master list of
all available news feeds.

* Discussions. Each item should be discussable.

* E-mail updates. Group members should be updated whenever the weblog
page is updated.

* Long articles. At some point people will want to be able to write
longer articles that have their own page (and automatically link to
these from the home page of course).

* Task management? I can imagine that if folks really like using this
tool they will want some kind of integrated to-do list related to the
weblog/website. What I have in mind is a list of tasks for each
person, which would show up on the page if that person is logged in.
Maybe some unassigned tasks that everyone in the working group would
see.

Thanks,

--
Mark