Setting up Frontier questions:

James Byrne Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 21:16:21 +0000

I suggest you download a fresh copy and start again. Use the address of your
ISP's mail server - I think that should work. And 127.0.0.1 as your IP
address.

What do you mean by static Website creation? Do you mean the old Website
framework or using Manila to create a site served from a static server?

All the best,
Jim

on 15/3/02 10:32 pm, Mark Gillingham at markgill@uwalumni.com wrote:

> Has anyone responded? For a trial, I would not start other web serving
> or worry about mail. Try 127.0.0.1 as the address. That should work even
> on your PB. There is lots to learn in Frontier. 60 days may not be
> enough.
>
> Mark
>
> On Friday, March 15, 2002, at 01:46 PM, Douglas Wagner wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>> I've just started my 60 day exploration of Frontier and Manila. I'm
>> using a Wallstreet PowerBook running Mac OS 10.1.3. My only network
>> connection is by modem to my local ISP, which doesn't run Frontier. I'd
>> like to explore two areas: static web site creation and setting up and
>> using Frontier as a server on my PowerBook.
>>
>> However, at the moment I'm stuck at installation. I have the serial
>> number but how do I find the domain name of my computer. As my machine
>> is stand alone, do I use a dummy IP number? I don't run a mail server,
>> of course.
>>
>> If I turn on the html server as the installation guide recommends, will
>> this allow me to simulate a server on my machine? Serve documents to
>> myself as it were?
>>
>> Thanks: DW

Glasgow West End: Pat's Guide: http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk

Guide to all that's best in Glasgow's West End: What's On, Eating Out,
Shopping, Flat Hunting, Local Characters, Classified Ads., Community
Pinboard, Art for Sale and Free Photographs to download.

ScotConnect: http://www.scotconnect.com

A smooth transition to providing accessible information on the Internet.
Quick to load, accessible Web sites - built with the minimum of fuss.

Jim and Pat Byrne
Tel: +44(0)141 334 1650