question

Al Mac Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 21:13:27 -0500

--=====================_1985150==_.ALT

This question should perhaps be directed to one of the many AOL discussion
forums, but I am a former AOL user.  You can always change stuff on your
AOL profile, such as password, billing arrangements, how you connect, etc.

You might use keyword BILLING to check out when AOL thinks you were signed
on.  Even if you are on flat pay fee a month, it will show the times you
were connected.  If you have your computer setup for automated e-mail
schedule when you not using it, don't forget to factor that into when AOL
thinks you were connected.

For someone to use your account from some other computer, and pretend to be
you, they need to know your password.  There are people who will pretend to
be you, using spoofed e-mail addresses.

If in doubt, perhaps it would be smart to change your password (you have to
be on line with AOL to do that).  In fact, it might be a good idea to do
that every now and then so you not forget how.

Even though your computer account can have a bunch of different AOL screen
names, only one of those accounts can be on line with AOL at one time.

Depending on what kind of Operating System you have on your home PC,
someone could break into your home, reboot the PC, and if they know how,
get into MDOS mode and rename your Windows Password files, then reboot and
do anything they like, then when done, put the password files back the way
they were.  But I do not seriously fear this risk.  If someone breaks into
my apartment, there is a nice 24" TV set in the bedroom, and other
goodies.  I can't see someone mucking with my PC behind my back, except for
the hacker virus folks, who do their thing without physically breaking into
our homes.

-
Al Macintyre (macwheel99@sigecom.net via Eudora)
Al's diary http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/
Scandal Map http://www.markpoyser.netfirms.com/diagrams.htm

--=====================_1985150==_.ALT

This question should perhaps be directed to one of the many AOL
discussion forums, but I am a former AOL user.&nbsp; You can always
change stuff on your AOL profile, such as password, billing arrangements,
how you connect, etc.&nbsp; <br><br>
You might use keyword BILLING to check out when AOL thinks you were
signed on.&nbsp; Even if you are on flat pay fee a month, it will show
the times you were connected.&nbsp; If you have your computer setup for
automated e-mail schedule when you not using it, don't forget to factor
that into when AOL thinks you were connected.<br><br>
For someone to use your account from some other computer, and pretend to
be you, they need to know your password.&nbsp; There are people who will
pretend to be you, using spoofed e-mail addresses.<br><br>
If in doubt, perhaps it would be smart to change your password (you have
to be on line with AOL to do that).&nbsp; In fact, it might be a good
idea to do that every now and then so you not forget how. <br><br>
Even though your computer account can have a bunch of different AOL
screen names, only one of those accounts can be on line with AOL at one
time.<br><br>
Depending on what kind of Operating System you have on your home PC,
someone could break into your home, reboot the PC, and if they know how,
get into MDOS mode and rename your Windows Password files, then reboot
and do anything they like, then when done, put the password files back
the way they were.&nbsp; But I do not seriously fear this risk.&nbsp; If
someone breaks into my apartment, there is a nice 24&quot; TV set in the
bedroom, and other goodies.&nbsp; I can't see someone mucking with my PC
behind my back, except for the hacker virus folks, who do their thing
without physically breaking into our homes.<br><br>
into and&nbsp; made changes to my aol member profile. I deleted it but am
not sure if it was someone that I had let on my puter (which I did) and
now they can enter from another site or what and can they still be there
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
-<br>
Al Macintyre (macwheel99@sigecom.net via Eudora)<br>
Al's diary