MIME type problem (Plugin is handling other files)

Raghunatha Reddy Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 17:40:29 -0800

Hi,

I have a IE plugin for Mac OS, whose MIME type is
"application/octet-stream". This plugin is used to download a file with
extension ".pgm".
Since the MIME type of the application is similar to HexEdit, when I
down load .bin files from other web sites, IE is loading the plugin.
Because of this the plugin is handling the .bin file, which is a bug;-(

The file which is supposed to be handled by the IE plugin is created
with HexEdit. When I change the MIME type of the plugin to other name,
IE is not loading the plugin when I down load the file of type ".pgm".
IE loads the plugin only when the MIME type is
"application/octet-stream"  while downloading the file. The information
in the "File Helpers" properties of the IE is OK for all the fields.

I have some questions, does IE loads the plugin based on file extension
( in my case it's not doing this).

I have tried to get the EMBED tag information for "SRC" key in the
plugin to for the file extension, so that the plugin return's error
when the file is not of type ".pgm". But in the plugin I was unable to
get the file name (SRC key value).

I have tried by changing the file type and creator code of the
downloadable file, it didn't work. How does IE gets the MIME type
information from file to be downloaded.

Thanks
Reddy