Subject: Stupid News Include Question

Al Mac Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:52:00 -0600

--=====================_5397680==_.ALT

Julian

This is not a good way to use a discussion group.

I suggested you join because a lot of questions and answers relevant to
nuances how to work Manila features, often by people involved in education,
but not all of the features and capabilities of the Virtual World will be
relevant to you, also when you join, there may be discussions in progress,
in which you would need to check the archives to pick up on the traffic
before you joined ... in fact there is an art form in figuring out how to
use search engines (not neccessarily the one supplied with the site) to
navigate past posts on topics of interest to you.  There are many
discussions not relevant to my interests, or my understandings.  I try to
avoid chiming into those.

The thread in question in perspective ... you may have visited some
personal web sites in which the senior editor has added a chart or list of
the major news of the day, according to CNN, New York Times, or whatever
major news source appeals to that person.  It appears to be continuously
updated.  Does the senior editor have to scramble like a journalist to keep
the site up to date?  No, you can get something added to your web site, if
you are versatile with the underlying programming (which neither of us are,
but JT can do), that in essence adds to our web site home page whatever is
coming from a news feed of our choice, like a wire service (UPI AP Reuters
etc.) for web sites.  There are several such services available, and the
discussion thread was how to integrate one with a Manila site.

Even if we were versatile with the underlying programming, this might not
be an option for your site thanks to the deletion of stuff you thought you
did not need, before you understood all the implications.

I use news service to web world a bit differently, perhaps because of
options available to Radio.  I am not interested in the latest headlines
overall.  I am interested in what's big news in the world of
e-computing.  The owners of UNIX rights are suing IBM $ 1 billion because
they think IBM leaked info about UNIX to the LINUX OS world.  USA Baby
Bells are suing US FCC because they want more monopolistic rights and think
that in a climate of US Justice in the pocket of Microsoft this might be
good timing.  If you interested in discussing latest hot news, this
discussion group not the place to do that ... e-mail me directly.

-
Al Macintyre
Al's thoughts http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/
See Al at http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac

>From: Julian Goh <j512003@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: Subject: Stupid News Include Question
>
>Don,
>
>What's the stuffs talking about? I am a new member.....
>
>JulianGoh
>
>  Don Wolff
>>If I remember correctly  kthomas wrote:
>>
>> > you might also try...
>> > http://www.wc.cc.va.us/services/news/
>> >
>> > You can use the url directly such as the example below. Works on ANY
>> > web page.
>>
>>Thank you. That is a nice service!
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>-Don
>>
>>"Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our
>>closed rooms... The game of ball is glorious." - Walt Whitman
>>===================================
>>Don Wolff- Technology Coordinator
>>Phoenix-Talent School District #4
>>mailto:don.wolff@phoenix.k12.or.us
>>Office- 541-535-0200
>>Mobile- 541-621-4717
>>FAX- 541-535-7552

--=====================_5397680==_.ALT

Julian<br><br>
This is not a good way to use a discussion group.<br><br>
I suggested you join because a lot of questions and answers relevant to
nuances how to work Manila features, often by people involved in
education, but not all of the features and capabilities of the Virtual
World will be relevant to you, also when you join, there may be
discussions in progress, in which you would need to check the archives to
pick up on the traffic before you joined ... in fact there is an art form
in figuring out how to use search engines (not neccessarily the one
supplied with the site) to navigate past posts on topics of interest to
you.&nbsp; There are many discussions not relevant to my interests, or my
understandings.&nbsp; I try to avoid chiming into those.<br><br>
The thread in question in perspective ... you may have visited some
personal web sites in which the senior editor has added a chart or list
of the major news of the day, according to CNN, New York Times, or
whatever major news source appeals to that person.&nbsp; It appears to be
continuously updated.&nbsp; Does the senior editor have to scramble like
a journalist to keep the site up to date?&nbsp; No, you can get something
added to your web site, if you are versatile with the underlying
programming (which neither of us are, but JT can do), that in essence
adds to our web site home page whatever is coming from a news feed of our
choice, like a wire service (UPI AP Reuters etc.) for web sites.&nbsp;
There are several such services available, and the discussion thread was
how to integrate one with a Manila site.<br><br>
Even if we were versatile with the underlying programming, this might not
be an option for your site thanks to the deletion of stuff you thought
you did not need, before you understood all the implications.<br><br>
I use news service to web world a bit differently, perhaps because of
options available to Radio.&nbsp; I am not interested in the latest
headlines overall.&nbsp; I am interested in what's big news in the world
of e-computing.&nbsp; The owners of UNIX rights are suing IBM $ 1 billion
because they think IBM leaked info about UNIX to the LINUX OS
world.&nbsp; USA Baby Bells are suing US FCC because they want more
monopolistic rights and think that in a climate of US Justice in the
pocket of Microsoft this might be good timing.&nbsp; If you interested in
discussing latest hot news, this discussion group not the place to do
that ... e-mail me directly. <br><br>
-<br>
Al Macintyre <br>
Al's thoughts