Gems Feature?

Scott Granneman rsgranne at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 18:53:39 PST 2005

On Friday 25 February 2005 05:44 pm, Don Wolff wrote:
> I have (I think Gems enabled). On a site I can upload a Gem and it will
> upload fine and give me a url to the file. Unfortunately when I click on
> the link that was generated for the link I will get a file not found error.
>
> When I go and look on the server running Frontier I can see that the file
> was uploaded correctly and the path that was generated should be correct.

Are you using Mac OS X?

If so, be aware that Userland has never actually turned Frontier into a real
OS X app - instead, it's a converted OS 9 app - so it's still vulnerable to
OS 9 limitations in filenames.

Namely, if you upload a gem that has a filename longer than 27 characters
before the extension, Frontier will mangle the filename on the server ... BUT
FAIL TO WARN THE USER UPLOADING OR THE USER VIEWING THE LIST OF GEMS.

Needless to say, this is very, very, very bad application behavior.

This may be the root of your problem.

Pictures with names longer than 27 characters are another, but related,
problem ...

Scott

--
R. Scott Granneman
scott at granneman.com ~ www.granneman.com
  Join GranneNotes! Information at www.granneman.com

"You shouldn't trust _any_ software. Software is _at best_ a faithful but
bumbling zombie servant that ineptly performs your bidding. At worst, it's an
evil zombie that wants to kill you and eat your brain."
      ---Mr Bad, on Trusted Computing