New Message: Frontier address limitations

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Tue Jul 19 17:21:38 CDT 2005

A new message was posted:

Address: http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$14153

By: Robert Cassidy (rmcassid at uci.edu)

Ok, it appears I'm running into a serious Frontier limitation. After noodling out a periodic problem where code would sometimes work and sometimes not, it appears I'm hitting a limitation whereby Frontier addresses can only be 256 bytes long. Is this still the case?

I'm working my way through a compiled xml table, and the leaf nodes are sometimes reachable and sometimes not depending on, well, on a whole mess of things, actually.

This is a real problem with xml, as Frontiers serialization automatically adds 10 bytes to every node (8 digits + \t), so a node which is *data* actually soaks up *.["00001000\tdata"]* - 4 bytes is now 18. 256 comes /really/ quickly when you have your ODB path on there as well.

Anyway, I have limited ability to rejigger the xml schema, so I need options.

The first is that in this day and age 256 bytes is, well, really stupid. Any chance that can get fixed in the kernal? Simple, eh? :-)

After that, is there anything really that can be done?

This is a Manila site.. http://manila.userland.com/.