New Message: Returning data rather than html

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Wed Jun 29 09:29:11 CDT 2005

A new message was posted:

Address: http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$14137

By: Chris Bunch (chris.bunch at ndm.ox.ac.uk)

I need on occasions to return to the client some arbitrary data rather than the usual html page. Typically the data is a dynamically-generated set of text records in tab-delimited format which the user wants as a 'download' rather than rendered into the normal Manila template.

Is there a straightforward way of doing this? I imagine it should be possible to hijack the pageTable but my knowledge of mainResponder is rusty (and the excellent Dr.Matt tutorials seem to have vanished!)

This is a Manila site.. http://manila.userland.com/.