New Message: Newbie Macro woes

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Fri Oct 21 14:15:55 CDT 2005

A new message was posted:

Address: http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$14247

By: jim Provan (jprovan at thindesktop.net)

I am trying to get comfortable with writing UserTalk. I am new to UserTalk, but have been programming for 35 years. So, I can write the code, but I do not know where to put it in order for it to be effective on my web page.

I wrote this macro:

on getFirstName () {
 if whoAmI != "" {
 return (string.nthField (whoAmI, ' ', 1))};
 return ("")}
bundle { //code that installs it
 local (adrtable = @config.mainresponder.prefs.legalMacros.["viewPodcastBox"]);
 if not defined (adrtable^) {
 new (tabletype, adrtable);
 adrtable^.fllegal = true;
 adrtable^.flparams = true}};

I placed it in manilaWebsites.root at homeManilaWebsite.#tools.getFirstName.

Before you ask, I did run it to make it a legal macro.

I have a web page at http://td01003.thindesktop.net/stories/storyReader$5 [1]

All that it does is output "{getFirstName()}" as text. It is not rendering it.

What am I doing wrong ? If I can get past this, I think that I can create scripts that might be useful.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Provan

[1] http://td01003.thindesktop.net/stories/storyReader$5