New Message: Re: [Mac OS X] Serving long file names

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Tue Jul 18 16:18:43 CDT 2006

A new message was posted:

Address: http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$14460

By: Robert Cassidy (rmcassid at uci.edu)

Back from my vacation now.

Yeah, it's quite a little rats nest there. Ultimately, the problem resides with convincing Frontier to *serve* the file I want it to from a URL. I can route around everything else.

So even with a proper urlencoded path:

"http://www.foo.com/files/really%20long%20file%20name%20with%20extension.txt"

which properly matches the file name, I get the file not found error. Even if I did intercept the HTTP request and do it by hand, I still don't know how to provide Frontier with a reference - even the truncated 31 character name and get it to return the file.

I'll poke around and see if I can generate or retrieve the 31 char name, but so far I haven't figured out how, nor do I know if it'll work.