New Message: Re: [Mac OS X] Serving long file names

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sat Jun 10 21:45:31 CDT 2006

A new message was posted:

Address: http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$14436

By: Brian Ablaza (bablaza at stargroup1.com)

Grr, indeed. Been waiting on this myself for quite some time. As I understand it, the problem exists at a pretty deep level in the code, so it's not an easy fix.

The workarounds I've been offered are ugly, and involve using Applescript code to deal with long file names. Depending on your application, using Unix commands might be workable, but also ugly.

One of my core enterprise applications absolutely depends on directory indexing, and while I love Frontier and have been using it for years (since v. 2, I think), I'm now teaching myself Ruby.

You might see if the open source project is addressing this.