New Message: Re: [Mac OS X] Serving long file names

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Fri Jun 16 16:52:30 CDT 2006

A new message was posted:

Address: http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$14441

By: Brian Ablaza (bablaza at stargroup1.com)

Well, I admire your gumption. It's not a string-based formula, if that's what you're hoping. When Frontier encounters a long name, it constructs a short name according to this formula:

- save the file extension, if any

- create a unique identifier by retrieving the file's inode number, and convert that number to hex (which will be 7 digits long)

- take enough of the start of the file name to make a 31 character file name:

[start of filename]+[hex from inode]+[file extension]=31 chars

Notes:

Frontier may not be doing this; the file system may be.

Frontier appears to consider this to be the actual name of the file. If you copy a file with a long file name, the copied file will have the truncated name. I don't know if all Frontier functions will work. Let us know.