New Message: How to impliment a custom page not found page.

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Tue Aug 16 18:12:44 CDT 2005

By: Marlin Schaefer (marlin at happymacconsulting.com)

Hi all.

I'm working on implimenting existing websites as manila sites. What I'm wanting to do is create a (custom) default error page. For example I currently host one of my sites on godaddy and they have a preference where I can set a custom error page. So if someone mis types a url or clicks a bad link they will get a custom error page with a sitemap (for instance) rather than a generic "404 page not found" error.

I would like to be able to do this with manila so that I dont have to maintain the exact same file structure for the new site. Even though with manila the file structure is virtual. I would rather not have to create "dummy" stories and set relative url's to match my sites old file structure just to ensure existing links to my site(s) dont break.

I hope I've clearly described what I'm wanting to do. Can someone tell me how to do this?

Thanks!
-Marlin

This is a Manila site.. http://manila.userland.com/.