New Message: *Still* having trouble with department pages

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Tue Aug 30 11:18:57 CDT 2005

By: Matt Deatherage (frontier at gcsf.com)

For example, see <http://oubandalumni.org/newsItems/departments/>.

The third item on this page uses the pictureRef macro to include a picture with specified dimensions. It works when viewing the message directly, but in the department page, the macros don't render. You can see this in items 1 and 2 on the page as well, where we use the "relativeLink" macro because it's /still the only way/ we have to reference other pages in a site (other than by a full URL that must be found and edited by hand if the site's URL changes).

Today, when I tried to edit the message, I saw no "Edit" link - and it turned out the department page didn't think I was a managing editor, and I am. The home page showed the editor's menu. Logging out and back in twice got me managing editor access, but when I edited the message and clicked to post the update, I was dumped back to <http://oubandalumni.org/newsItems/departments/>! When I clicked on any department, I was told I didn't have editorial privs, again.

I don't see these problems on other pages, and not even on other blogs on this server, so I'm willing to believe there's something wrong with the site's root file (after a bad backup experience a while back, every site has its own .root now), but I have no idea where to look.

I reported the macro problem months ago, but the "you're logged in but you're really not" problem hasn't been mentioned before, to my knowledge.

This is a Manila site.. http://manila.userland.com/.