New Message: Email validation

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sun Dec 4 14:31:13 CST 2005

By: Matt Deatherage (frontier at gcsf.com)

(excuse me for not asking how to relocate a free site, but I'm a maverick)

We have this verb, string.isValidEmailAddress, that takes an address and makes sure it conforms to RFC 822 standards. Yet one of the most common mail errors I see on my Frontier server is when someone uses the "contact the author of this message" feature but includes a bad E-mail address for themselves, like "me" or "me at hotmail". Our mail server rejects mail with invalid "from" addresses, so they sit in the sendMailQueue.root file until someone notices them and either fixes the address or removes the message.

1) Why doesn't Manila use string.isValidEmailAddress on its various mail pages so it can notify people of invalid addresses, rather than let the mail silently fail?

2) Why does string.isValidEmailAddress return "true" for the string "me at hotmail"? I understand that RFC 822 technically allows this, but for every practical purpose, those addresses are going to bounce except by sheer luck. This prevents me from using the verb to roll my own solution.

--Matt