New Message: Manila v9.5 Update Tip

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sun Jul 24 20:18:37 CDT 2005

By: Thomas A. Creedon (thomas at creedon.net)

Hello UserLand and all,

I ran into a situation that caused a bit of a panic when I updated to Manila v9.5. I think it would be a good idea to give folks a heads up in the read me.

I have several discussion groups that have a large number of messages (10,000; 30,000; 45,000, etc.). One of the first things that are done to a website after the v9.5 upgrade is to upgrade the site shell to the current version. One of the tasks is to index messages types (picture and etc.). For these large messages groups it can take a very long time for the indexing to happen.

Since I didn't know that this was going to be done the first time I hit those websites, I panicked because the websites wouldn't respond when hit from the browser. I went looking for problems with the databases because I figured something went horribly wrong in the upgrade process. Of course nothing was and so I wasted a chunk of time tracing down what was going on.

On a related note, I also became somewhat alarmed when I saw a much larger number of threads than normal when I first launched Manila. Of course this must have been due to the site shell upgrades happening on the websites first hit since v9.5 was installed.

Toodle-loooooooo..........
Thomas

editHere.com [1] website hosting service. "Websites as easy as see it, edit it, save it! SM"

[1] http://www.editHere.com/

This is a Manila site.. http://manila.userland.com/.