New Message: Re: Set Relative Path

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Thu Jun 23 02:24:40 CDT 2005

By: Robert Cassidy (rmcassid at uci.edu)

After much unravelling of memory, I recalled that the set relative path is a feature that only appeared on discussion pages. Since I don't use my discussion forums, it's a less than useful place for it.

I remembered that the manilaFixer plug-in allowed me to drop it back onto story pages, but the 9.5 upgrade must have unset that setting, so I flipped it back on and it worked fine. I guess the integration of some of that plug-in to Manila left me thinking that is was a Manila setting.

That said, I would *really* like to see that setting in Manila. We use Manila as a fairly standard CMS and work almost exclusively in the Stories page, creating new pages and then dropping them on the site where we like. Given that, having the relative path/delete options only on discussion pages is, well, less than useful as I pointed out. Put another way, is there any reason why it *shouldn't* be on the story pages?

Further, how about additional options to refresh and delete the selected path from the site structure? One of my main annoyances is when I change a story title and the site structure retains the old title. Having to dig into the xml is icky. I'd like to be able to sync that back up again. If I incorrectly set a path and then fix it, I get two paths - one I don't want. I'd like to select the story that I don't want and be able to have that path removed, but not delete the story. Another approach on that (useful in other ways as well) would be to have a listing of all paths for that story at the bottom of the page that individual paths could be checked off and deleted.

Make sense?

This is a Manila site.. http://manila.userland.com/.