New Message: 404 Not Found Error Accessing Uploaded Files (Gems)

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Tue Jun 28 10:15:45 CDT 2005

By: ken tompkins (ken at loki.stockton.edu)

I have to admit that I have not been paying close attention to the discussion for the last week, so forgive me if this has been covered. A quick scan of just previous discussion topics suggests it hasn't.

I just got a not from a faculty saying that when she uploads a file (successful) and puts the
title in a story (successful) she gets a 404 error. Sure enough. I tried it and get that error even though the file is clearly where it is supposed to be -- manila/gems.

Not sure why Frontier isn't finding it OR is the problem that Frontier is finding it but isn't serving it. I noticed on the relavent page in the Admin pages there is a line about serviing these files with IIS or another server. Is that new?

When we had Gems, etc. we had no problems and didn't use any other server but Frontier. Is this a new problem and, if so, how do I fix it so faculty can distribute files to their students?

ken tompkins

This is a Manila site.. http://manila.userland.com/.